The developments around GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) or the Biotech foods have become really strong. GMO is an organism (plant or animal) whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques. Such intricate combinations of genes from different species cannot occur in nature or by traditional crossbreeding.
I consider the uproar against GMO honest. And why not, consumers today have become wiser. They like to know what kind of food they consume, where does it come from and what goes behind its cultivation. The food companies, in turn are trying to keep their sourcing as clean and GMO free as possible.
Image Credit: http://www.alternativesolutions4health.info
I am a believer in nature. Organic food makes more sense to me. The food market has always been governed more by volume than the nutritional quality of the food produced. Farmers are therefore forced to use enhanced technologies that are also economical, irrespective of its ecological impact.
- GMO is just one those technologies used in farming and indeed a very touchy topic. The controversy around it has become even more twisted, because science, so far has not been able to clearly affirm facts as for or against GMO foods. And why not the ill effects of GMO are many few of them include:-
- One of the biggest objections to genetically modified foods is that they unintentionally pose harm to not just humans who consume it but also other organisms who might consume the crops.
- “The cross contamination of nearby plants with pollen from genetically modified crops could lead to transfer of certain genes from one plant type to another”, biologist Deborah Whitman reports on the ProQuest website.
- Increased resistance has occurred in mosquitoes that developed resistance to the pesticide DDT.
- Introducing genetic material from one plant to another may result in the introduction of allergenic material from one species into another.
But now consumers have expressed their concerns about genetically engineered food. The risks associated with GM foods to health and the environment outweighs its benefits. There can be accidental contamination between GMO and non-GMO foods or introduction of disease causing allergens or toxins to food or changing the nutritive content of original crop and even the creation of super weeds.
There are some burning questions that GMO Supporters have to answer before they seek support in favour of this technology.
- How will seed variants too costly to patent (and legally can’t be saved for replanting) help poor farmers globally?
- How will seed that needs increased levels of toxins to control weeds be the safest option, ecologically or from a human standpoint?
- How can a seed that is artificially injected with foreign proteins be harmless to eat?
Image Credit: https://www.daimanuel.com
We love nature and prefer it to keep it that way. Traditional farming has galloped in recent years. It can now give higher yield. Organic and sustainable farming had made huge strides in recent years in matching and exceeding chemical agriculture output in volume, quality and taste. Chemically produced food has low nutrient density and is laced with poisons only robbing us of our health.
Read Also: 7 Foods That Will Help You Fight Stress